Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Mass Confusion

I really feel like that's the perfect description of my adult life so far. Mass confusion. I do believe that there is some plan for me in this big ole universe, but I wish the universe would quit confusing me about it already. As you know, we're trying to build a house of some sort on the farm, so that we can move out of the shack of impossibly small proportions. Sounds like any easy enough task, right? Oh, no. Not so.

First, there's the money issue. I'll cut right to the chase and tell you that we're fairly young, and we're farmers, so while we grow a great many things, money ain't one of them. What kind of house can we afford? It has basically come down to this: anything that we can build completely by ourselves. Now, I'll give you a minute to stop laughing about me wielding any tool more powerful than a hammer. But really, that's what it boils down to. I'm exhausted at the prospect of doing *any* of the work myself, let alone a whole house. We thought we'd build a garage and live over it for a while. Do you know what that would mean? We would have to build two houses. So you can see why that idea is dying an agonizing death by the wayside.

Since the chance of me figuring any of this out while Gaylon is in Kazakhstan is minimal, I'll solicit help from any kind strangers who are willing to give it. Floorplans, prefab designs, log cabins, I'm willing to look at all of them. Maybe I'll post some of my favorites here. My friend Kalah sent me this link a while back, which I think is intriguing for a start. I dig the container houses, but I'm not sure that our banker would approve. ;) This company has a great idea, too, with traditional house plans and inexpensive kits. If only we could come up with a suitable floorplan.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of investing in a nice wall tent. Can I put one of those on a basement?

No comments: